Friday, March 01, 2013

Good news and bad news


I finished the lacy edging for the baby blanket I was knitting, and when I came to sew it on to the main part I saw a mistake in it that is quite noticeable and renders it not really gift-worthy. I would use it myself if I had a little one, but I am not happy giving it as a gift. The baby is due any time, so I think I will be buying a present, rather than inflicting my dodgy knitting on him/her, and probably donating the blanket somewhere. Ah well.

My wurm hat is going well. I was concerned about doubling over the knitting for the band, but when it came to it I had no problem. I have been struggling to work out where the end of each round was, until someone suggested using a stitch marker, duh. So THAT'S what they are for! The hat isn't perfect by a long way, but I am happy to have learned the various new skills involved. At my craft group this week, I even found myself explaining to some else how to knit on circular needles.

I am loving the first issue of Kindred magazine, and looking forward to more. I am also really excited to have rediscovered a favourite childhood book, Mandy thanks to Kindred. I read this from the library as an eight year old and loved it, but could never recall the title or author and have spent years looking for it online under various titles that I thought it might have been called! Then when my Kindred magazine arrived last month, there was a list of books inside and I knew right away as soon as I read the title and author, that it was the one, and I am so looking forward to revisiting it. It will join my little pile of well loved books from my childhood.

Joining in with Ginny's Yarn Along. What are you knitting and reading?

16 comments:

  1. How wonderful to rediscover a classic you had been looking for! Sorry to hear about the lacy edging, but the wurm hat looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cameron! I have been a critical of it, and think of it as a hat only it's mother could love :) I am sure I'll get better with practise (and it looks better from a distance!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I had the same experience with a book that I remembered when I was little. I loved it, but couldn't remember the name. every time I went to a library, I would check out the children's section. When I was in college (for teaching) I was in an elementary school and found it!! I wrote down the name and author and now I have my own copy (as a big girl of 40 ha ha!!!) I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wold love to know what the book was!

      Delete
  3. Too bad about your blanket, that's so frustrating!
    I love that you found your favorite children's book. It's so great when we can reconnect with something we loved in childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few cherished books I reread from time to time, and a couple of board games stashed in the loft. Memories...

      Delete
  4. mandy was one of my childhood favorites :) Sorry about the blanket, can't you stitch over it, maybe do a daisy strategically and maybe elsewhere as a design?? I hope whoever gets that beautiful blanket loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea!

      Delete
    2. It is, isn't it? I might have a go at that, or Renee's idea of felt flowers, below.

      Delete
  5. Oh no! Sorry to hear about the baby blanket! That happened to me too before, but you know what I did? I cut up different sized/coloured felt flowers and put them in random places on the blanket as a design. My friend loved it and her babies still used it :) Perhaps you could do something similar?

    I've heard really good reviews about Kindred. Will get a copy once I've caught up with my reading.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely idea, and I do have some felt bits and pieces.

      Delete
    2. Definitely worth doing - and it could even add to the beauty of the blanket

      Delete
  6. Don't you just love learning new skills and then being able to help teach someone else? Such a happy feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was quite amazing to me when I realised I was explaining to someone else! I am so used to being the one who is learning!

      Delete
  7. As you're going to buy a gift anyway, couldn't you also give the baby blanket with an explanation? I'm sure it would be loved just the same, because you made it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure you're right, I have a problem with perfectionism! (which strangely enough, they tell me at the hospital is a common trait of ME/CFS sufferers).

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!