Sunday, August 12, 2012

sticker shock


Today we bought what I thought of as a few bits and pieces, and I was shocked when the bill came to £26.68. Two days ago we spent fifty-odd pounds, and we haven't bought any meat this week yet. Every week, our grocery shopping seems to cost more than the week before. Thankfully, we can manage the rising prices, but I feel so sorry for those who can't - apparently the number of food banks in the UK has doubled in the last year, and I am not at all surprised. I don't know how I would manage if I was still a single parent, or if the Prof was still out of work. 

Three or four years ago, I could do a week's shopping for three adults and the dog for forty or fifty pounds. These days it costs more like £100. A large part of the increase is due to the price rises, but I also think that I am probably not shopping as carefully as I did in the past, when it was second nature to me to be frugal as our income was so low I had no choice. 

This month, when the Prof gets paid, I am going to try the envelope system for some of our day to day expenses such as groceries. I am curious to see exactly how much we do spend, and if we can stick within the budget amounts I will be setting. It should be an interesting exercise! 







Joining the August Break

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to menu plan better. That is where I am weak. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I've noticed the ever-increasing bill at the checkout each week too. I shop as carefully as I can, mainly at Aldi, and we often have vegetarian meals to cut back on the cost of meat too. It's really very scary how expensive food is becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's atrocious! I can't even imagine what it would be like if I had a child (or teen!) to feed too.

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!