Monday, July 25, 2011

The Prof's away....

 

                                                             Tin Wedding Whistle - Ogden Nash

                                                                    Though you know it anyhow
                                                                    Listen to me, darling, now,
                                                                    Proving what I need not prove
                                                                    How I know I love you, love.
                                                                    Near and far, near and far,
                                                                    I am happy where you are
                                                                    Likewise I have never larnt 
                                                                    How to be it where you aren't.
                                                                    Far and wide, far and wide,
                                                                    I can walk with you beside;
                                                                    Furthermore, I tell you what,
                                                                    I sit and sulk where you are not.
                                                                    Visitors remark my frown
                                                                    Where you're upstairs and I am down,
                                                                    Yes, and I'm afraid I pout
                                                                    When I'm indoors and you are out;
                                                                    But how contentedly I view
                                                                    Any room containing you.
                                                                    In fact I care not where you be,
                                                                    Just as long as it's with me.
                                                                    In all your absences I glimpse
                                                                    Fire and flood and trolls and imps.
                                                                    Is your train a minute slothful?
                                                                    I goad the stationmaster wrothful.                                                         
                                                                    When with friends to bridge you drive
                                                                    I never know if you're alive,
                                                                    And when you linger late in shops
                                                                    I long to telephone the cops.
                                                                    Yet how worth the waiting for,
                                                                    To see you coming through the door.
                                                                    Somehow, I can be complacent
                                                                    Never but with you adjacent.
                                                                    Near and far, near and far,
                                                                    I am happy where you are;
                                                                    Likewise I have never larnt
                                                                    How to be it where you aren't.
                                                                    Then grudge me not my fond endeavor,
                                                                    To hold you in my sight forever;
                                                                    Let none, not even you, disparage
                                                                    Such a valid reason for a marriage.

The Prof is away at summer school for a week. The house is too big without him.

4 comments:

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!