Friday, November 05, 2010

Stillness



The thought of having to sit quietly for even five minutes is very alien to me. I am more than capable of sitting around and doing very little, but I always read, or watch TV, or write lists, or chat on the phone, something. I can't remember the last time I just sat, quietly.

Recently I have been wondering if this is something I need. I have a grasshopper mind, leaping all over the place, planning, worrying, stressing, leaving thoughts and everything I try to do half finished. I am forgetful, distracted, usually doing one thing and thinking another. Too many thoughts going in too many different directions at once, so that I can't keep track of any.

Just for once it would be nice to have no thoughts. Or just gentle ones. I feel permanently frazzled. Classes I took years ago in tai chi and in yoga made me feel very centred and still, a feeling I would like to experience again.

So I was interested to see this from Kate Swoboda. There is a great ebook to download, and a post three times a week from Kate. I am looking forward to following along and trying the practices. For now, I am committing to five minutes of stillness every day.

I'll let you know how I get on.




No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!